Thursday, October 1, 2009

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

We crossed the 13 km Confederation Bridge to PEI. It was raining and almost the first place we saw was a quilt store - a sort of Spotlight, but it had some nice batiks. I did not yield to temptation!

We stayed in Summerside, the second city of PEI. It seemed to have only one supermarket, so you will gather it is not huge (PEI's total population is only about 200,000 I think). Prince Edward Island bills itself as the Gentle Island and the countryside is gently undulating farmland. Most villages are dominated by a large white wooden church. A lot of the numerous barns are built of cedar shingles - both walls and roofs.

The coast is deeply indented and many of the small harbours are filled with fishing boats. Apart from lobsters, the catch is mussels, clams, oysters and other shellfish I have never heard of. 

I saw a poster of the shipwrecks around PEI and there have been hundreds - mostly between 1850 and 1900, so it is no wonder there are so many lighthouses 

There are red sandstone cliffs and little sandy coves  then along the North coast there are sand dunes and a long sandy beach.

Today at Anne of Green Gables we caught up with the tourists as there are two cruise ships in Charlottetown, so there was busload after busload. Peter had sent me an article saying how Anne of the Red Hair had a cult following in Japan, and so I was not too surprised to see several Japanese.

Charlottetown itself is a very pretty town, with a large park and boardwalk on the waterfront and treelined streets with attractive wooden houses.

Confederation Bridge between New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island

West Cape Lighthouse one of over 40 on PEI

A shingle barn - one of many, but not the most typical shape

Typical church. I like the large clear glass Gothic windows

French River - a typical pastoral scene

More like Port Albert than Alberton

Note the lighthouse "garden feature". They are very popular here

Green Gables

One of the quilts in Green Gables

Typical red cliffs on PEI

Inviting sandy beach along the north coast of PEI

One of many fine houses in Charlottetown




3 comments:

  1. Green Gables doesn't quite look how I had imagined it, but I'm glad it has quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say Green Gables isn't how I imagined it either. I expected something grander. Though based on my recollection of the books, I don't know why? I'm impressed by the look of the house in Charlottetown.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where was picture 10 taken? (if you don't mind) I am looking for a spot exactly like that for our wedding ceremony!

    ReplyDelete